Thursday, February 24, 2011

What is Beauty?

Hey everyone, it's Brittany. I was thinking about body image and I think because of the media every girl feels insecure about what they look like. I know I have felt like I didn't like my body. I have always thought I was too skinny. I don't like being a stick, I would rather be a little bit bigger. I know people would die to have my body because of models who are sticks. It doesn't matter if you are skinny or fat, people are going to think their body isn't great and want to change it. But I've realized that the media doesn't know what beauty is. I learned that beauty is truth. My Chicano studies professor taught me that. We were talking about what beauty is and he asked a couple girls including me if we thought we were beautiful and each and everyone of us said no. He finally asked the class if anyone thought they were beautiful and one girl spoke up and said that she thought she was beautiful. She was getting choked up because so many of us didn't think we were beautiful. Because I learned the real definition of beauty and because of her reaction, I have really thought about what beauty means to me and accepting that I'm beautiful. It's still hard thinking I'm beautiful sometimes though, I still have insecurities but because of that one conversation, it has changed my perception about beautiful things. I want other girls to realize that and stop worrying about what they look like, I think there would be a change in what the "beautiful" woman would be. It would be every type of women, big, tall, skinny, big. If that would have a big impact on other woman and I think their would be a decrease in eating disorders.  

No comments:

Post a Comment